My First Mothers' Day

How time flies. Its nice to read my previous blogs to re-kinder the memories of the "honeymoon phase" part of my relationship. Much has happened and life is very much different now, more so with a baby.


The above phase is really true. I never understood how tough parenthood is until becoming one myself. Even for a doctor like me, parenting is a whole new field of knowledge especially for a first time parent. I knew the whole process of pregnancy and the delivery process to common childhood diseases. I knew it wasn't going to be easy with sleepless nights and countless diaper change. I knew the statistic of divorcing in the first year of having a child is high. I knew about having less time to spend with my husband since we are now spending it with our new "little boss". I knew I wanted to bond with my child as much as I can.



Mothers need a lot of encouragement and support mentally and physically. Honestly speaking, there are times that I have been low, inpatient and even felt like a failure at parenting. Despite having a relatively high tolerance for stress, the stress of a child's persistent cries can be overwhelming. I believe that there's a point where I was going through the Quarter-life Crisis. These are very common things that people don't talk about. I wanted to go back to work full time yet struggles between spending more time with my first born child. I found it so hard to go back to work while breastfeeding and eventually resigned from the KKM (Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia) to do locum at private clinics. I did not know what my future would hold and trusted God's amazing grace as He has always been there for me.

Am I happy being a mother? If I could change anything, would I go through it all again?
The answer is yes, I would do it again.




My baby boy, Michael is almost 8 months now. It is because of him that I am learning everyday to be a better person and parent. Most importantly it is because of the support of my parents in law especially my mother in law (who is great at comforting and making the baby sleep) and supportive husband whom had made the journey easier for me.



It is true that Happiness is a choice.
The tendency of our brain is negative bias, also known as negativity effect where things of negative nature have greater effect on ones psychological state than do neutral or positive things. Therefore I have decided to start blogging again to acknowledge the good things in my life by expressing gratitude and challenging the negative thoughts.


In summary, my thoughts is that parenting is tough and requires a lot of support from family and the community. Encourage safe sex and planned pregnancy, it is necessary to discuss about contraception methods which will save many lives, that of mothers and children. Sex should not be a taboo subject as it is a vital part of a healthy relationship. More of this in my next blogs.

A healthy community starts from a healthy family. I am grateful for the many support available online like Babycenter.com and Facebook Groups like The Breastfeeding Advocates Network, KL Moms Swap and Shop and many other groups that provides antenatal, baby-weaning and parenting classes including baby cradle classes at Faith City Church, USJ1. I would encourage new mothers to join these groups and classes to be better prepared. A happy parent is most important to provide for a happy healthy child.

I would like to dedicate my first Mother's Day to firstly God who has been very gracious to me, and also my parents, parents in law and husband for their time and support. Thanks you mum and mum in law for being there with your unconditional love and patience, not giving up on your child.
Thank you!

Thank you also to everyone who has helped, encouraged and support a new parent.
I salute all parents out there who is doing their best for their child.

I, too would like to contribute in my own way by sharing some lessons and tips I have found helpful in my life, all the from being in a relationship, pregnancy and motherhood. Hopefully it will help support a new parent.
I will do my best to share at least once a month from now.





Comments